Tuesday, July 05, 2005

From Lent and Beyond:

We are in an uncertain and, therefore, a weary time. The Anglican Communion has asked ECUSA and the Anglican Church of Canada to conform to certain requests to remain in good standing within the Communion, and there is doubt whether these requests will be honored. The drama raises questions about ongoing ecclesiastical relationships, not only in the communion, but also in dioceses and in parishes. We’re talking about family and lifetime friends, and we are in pain.And yet, in all candor, I’ve never felt closer to God. In the midst of the uncertainty of all that surrounds me, God in His tender mercies releases His Holy Spirit in a current of prayer. I am truly being borne in a current of love, and I am undeserving.God convicted me of sin this morning, and I confess it to you. Yesterday, my sense of alienation from church family welled up within me, and I fretted to my husband, a priest, about all the uncertainties of our call. On awakening, during a time of reading and prayer, I sensed that Jesus was asking me to bathe His feet with expensive ointment.
‘How wonderful!’ you might say.
Indeed.
But it is also awful. You see, the expensive ointment was my trust, my complete and unquestioning trust, and I have much anxiety to repent of. I understand why the woman with the alabaster box stood behind him rather than in front (Luke 7:37-8).

Lord, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.

A beautiful, prayerful site: http://lent.classicalanglican.net/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home