Sunday, July 24, 2005

When Someone Lets You Down
Not Losing Heart When
Others Disappoint Us

Blaine Smith

A woman in a class I was teaching once asked a favor of me. The community where she lived had an unfortunate ordinance, she explained, which could result in her losing the lease on her home. Cary had joined with other residents to lobby for the policy’s repeal. She asked if I would be willing to write a letter to the town council urging this change. I told her I’d be glad to help, and promised to get the letter off quickly.

The following week I caught the flu, and then with the pressure of other responsibilities never got around to fulfilling my promise. About six weeks later Cary brought up the matter again. Embarrassed, I confessed I had never followed through and began to offer my lame excuse, fearing she’d be disappointed with me. To my surprise she cut me off, saying, “Don’t worry, the Lord withheld your hand.” She went on to say that she realized the timing hadn’t been right for the letter. She was glad I’d neglected to send it.

The rest

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home