Monday, November 28, 2005

ROCHESTER, NY: Gay priest speaks out about Episcopal Church controversy
by Joylynn Whitfield
WROC-TV


"I really don't give my sexuality a second thought here. I think for the most part my parishioners don't either. To them I' m a Priest, and I happen to be gay," said Rev. Michael Hopkins.

Father Michael Hopkins pastors St. Luke & St. Simon Cyrene in Downtown Rochester. He has a personal interest in the current debate over church and sexuality.

"I understand there are going to be people in my church who don't agree with me, in fact who don't think I should be ordained," said Rev. Hopkins.

Among them are the members of the All Saints congregation in Irondequoit. All Saints was kicked out of the diocese because it refused to make its annual payment to the Diocese after the national Episcopal Church supported the ordaining of an openly gay bishop in New Hampshire in 2003.


The rest at Virtueonline

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home