Wednesday, June 21, 2006

It's a girl, and Jesus is her Mother.
Ruth Gledhill Weblog
June 21, 2006

Clearly, things are going to be lively with Bishop Schori in the Chair. In her very first sermon, delivered this morning at GenCon,she has managed to say: "Our mother Jesus gives birth to a new creation and we are his children." She then goes on to say it is time to give up fear. Well if she was looking for a way to provoke fear, she has found it, although it doesn't frighten me. After I stopped laughing, I just began to feel just a little tired. I can already see tomorrow's headlines, and envisage the shape my working life is going to take over the next nine years of her primacy. Sometimes, I just wish The Episcopal Church were not so predictable. What's it going to be this Christmas in America. Christamass? Anglican Mainstream has posted the full sermon. And of course she is within the current doctrine of The Episcopal Church, as my posting on the recent "Pray to Mother Jesus" liturgy demonstrates amply.

James Bone's
report in today's paper has all the details of latest news and I wrote an accompanying commentary, as well as a light-hearted piece for T2. I was particulary proud of this piece, because after 19 years on The Times, I finally managed to get what I think is the longest word in the English language, antidisestablishmentarianism, into the paper. Of course I could only ever have succeeded in that enterprise in an article about Rowan Williams. And can anyone out there send me a picture of one of those pink "it's a girl" buttons? (Photo now up by Michael G Daley of Anglican Essentials.) Meanwhile, Philippe Naughton from Times Online has emailed me saying: 'Please don't accuse me of floccinaucinihilipilification, but didnt you mean disestablishmentarianism?' Oh dear, I think perhaps I did. Proud no more, just fallen....

the rest

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home