Thursday, September 21, 2006

The Sermon at the Consecration this past Saturday (Sept. 16, 2006) of the New Bishop of Albany

Sitting in the Tree of Life
by the Rev. Mike Flynn
(inspired by a sermon by Ted Haggard)
at the Consecration of Rev. Bill Love

[Note to readers: Comments inserted during the presentation are here added in brackets. Footnotes are also added to provide background for the comments.]

[Prayer]
[Introduction: comments re my association with Albany and Uganda. Archbishop’s chaplain’s greetings to Bill Love.]

Someone asked me: are you targeting anyone in your sermon? Yes: everyone!

Greetings, first to children. Please stand. Jesus said the first shall be last and the last first. So I greet the children first. If the rest of us aren’t just like you, we won’t even see the kingdom of God, much less enter it.

Then lay members. When you were confirmed you entered the principal order of ministry in the church. I greet and honor you as the ministers of the church.
Then deacons and sisters. I honor your heart to serve.
Then priests. I greet you brothers and sisters, whose principal role is equipping the laity for their ministries.
Next bishops. I pray for you. Scripture says that few should be teachers because they will receive the weightier judgment. So I pray that you teach what is true.
Warm greetings to Bps. Dan Herzog and Dave Bena.
Finally, our presiding bishop. I wouldn’t have your job for all the world. I greet and honor you. May you be consoled in the arms of Jesus. And happy almost birthday, Sir.

Greetings to you all in the name of Jesus.


The rest at titusonenine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home