Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Veiled British Muslim woman delivers alternative Xmas message
Mon Dec 25

LONDON (AFP) - A Muslim woman in a full-face veil went head-to-head on television with Queen Elizabeth II, delivering an alternative Christmas Day message on religious integration.

At the same time the 80-year-old monarch's Christmas message to Britain and the Commonwealth was broadcast, a woman known only as Khadijah spoke on Channel 4 television Monday about why she wore the niqab in public and called for tolerance.

"We are seen as oppressed. Since I've started covering I feel much more liberated, which I know a lot of people possibly won't be able to understand," she said.

"I don't wear the niqab to separate myself from society. I want to be part of this society -- this is where I choose to live. I hope that society is more accepting of my personal choice. It's not about separation."

Khadijah's appearance comes amid a debate about the extent of religious and ethnic integration following last year's home-grown Islamist extremist suicide attacks in London.
the rest

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home