Thursday, March 22, 2007

ENS: Presiding Bishop's homily at House of Bishops' closing Eucharist
The Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori
Presiding Bishop and Primate
The Episcopal Church

I look around here and see lots of folks with glasses. And some of us who don't obviously wear them have contacts or have had our eyes adjusted surgically. Most of us have had our eyes change over the years.

When I first learned to fly, my vision tested as 20/10 in one eye and 20/15 in the other. I could see farther and more accurately at a distance than the norm. But in the last few years I've been wrestling with the changes 35 years have made in my eyes. I can see just fine up close - to read or have an intimate conversation - but I can no longer see the nuance of emotion on a face at 50 feet. I have to use other lenses to do that, and it can be both frustrating and annoying. That shift in focus doesn't happen automatically anymore - it takes conscious effort, and outside assistance.
the rest

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home