Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Diocese Of CNY: Bp. Skip Adams misses Gene Robinson at Lambeth

August 1st, 2008

Dear Clergy and People of Central New York,

We continue at Lambeth, seeking to live into the Archbishop of Canterbury’s vision for the conference that we have gathered to consider the themes of “Equipping Bishops for Mission” and “Strengthening Anglican Identity.” There have been a few voices which have sought to move us into a legislative mode and even to make various pronouncements, but these have been resisted by the Archbishop as well as the design group. Just yesterday the Archbishop reiterated that there is no need to go back and reissue previous resolutions nor will we be making new ones at this conference.

The necessary conversations at this conference have been occurring in our daily Bible studies as well as in our “indaba” groups. For those who are interested in our daily schedule and the topics with which we have been dealing, I hope you have checked the Lambeth Conference website (http://www.lambethconference.org/). Beyond daily Eucharist and other worship opportunities, each day has also included hearings on the Windsor Continuation Process and the work of that committee, plenary sessions and self-select opportunities for education and formation.

The Windsor process hearings have had some moments of tension and difficult things have been said to one another but, for the most part, it has been respectful and even generous. Some are proposing a shift in the emphasis in the Windsor process from “autonomy in communion” to “communion with autonomy and accountability.” How the accountability is worked out is, of course, huge. For some a proposed Covenant looks to be punitive and too juridical, my perspective, as this does not lead to encouraging “bonds of affection.” Today we move more heavily into conversations concerning a proposed Anglican Covenant. A comprehensive report on the Lambeth Conference will be issued at its conclusion and each day we gather in hearings to consider the content of that report.

Yesterday we grappled with human sexuality and as you might guess the anxiety did ratchet up a bit. I found the conversations to be deeply moving as I listened to bishops from settings in which there is a predominantly Muslim population, and heard of how difficult it is to be a Christian in those places. It is not possible to have any conversation about homosexuality in such a setting and the Christians believe it hurts their ability to proclaim the Christian faith. At the same time, I have gone to several presentations from African Anglican gay people who have been heavily persecuted just for who they are. I saw the editor’s cut of a new film called “Voices for Witness: Africa,” which movingly portrays the stories of African gay Christians. It is powerful and disturbing. As I said to one bishop from Africa, “I am not only concerned about LBGT people in the United States and my diocese, I am concerned for the voiceless gay people in his diocese as well.” In my opinion this is one of the reasons why we need to find a way to remain together as a Communion.

Some of the other work I and others do is dealing with the many misperceptions of the Episcopal Church in particular and explaining in individual conversations what we have and have not said. Some, for instance, believe that the Episcopal Church never made a response to the Windsor Report. We have tried to disavow folks of that perception. I made a report in one group where we were asked to respond to two questions: “What do I need from my fellow bishops to enable me to be true to my role as leader in God’s mission?” and, “What am I prepared to offer my fellow bishops to help them?”

My response to the first question was this: “To recognize the possibility that the potential for holiness of life in the inclusion of all God’s people is a legitimate reading of the Gospel.” My second response was “I will always ask the question of myself, ‘How will this or that action effect others?’” It is in moments like this that I very much miss the presence of my brother Bishop Gene Robinson at this conference.

Lastly, I would say that the March of Witness through London for the Millennium Development Goals was a great highlight. At the end, at Lambeth Palace, we heard an eloquent statement on Micah 6 from the Archbishop of Canterbury concerning God’s desire for justice and compassion. Then the Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, spoke in as stirring a speech as I have ever heard. Please access it at: http://e4gr.blogspot.com/. It is well worth hearing.

I believe that is enough for now. Know you all continue in my prayer for the mission we are about as the people of Central New York. Grace and peace to you all.

Bishop Skip
Lambeth 2008

CNY website

Bishop Adams' Second Lambeth
letter here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home