Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Jefferts Schori homily, delivered in Fort Worth

Feb 10, 2009
Sam Hodges

While in Fort Worth this weekend for the reorganization of the Episcopal Church diocese based there, the Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori, presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church, gave two homilies. Below you'll find the one she gave on Saturday at All Saints' Episcopal Church in Fort Worth.

Fort Worth Organizing Convention
February 7, 2009

The Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori
Presiding Bishop and Primate
The Episcopal Church

I was out running in Stockton last Friday, along the river early in the morning. The bike path I was on was up above the river on a levee, along an old railroad grade, that let you see the road down below and the yards and parking lots across the way. I passed a school where there were 5 or 6 boys skateboarding in the dark. I didn't think much about it, but when I passed by again on my way back, I could hear yelling. Most of these 10 or 12 year old boys were still doing skateboard tricks, but one of them was standing in the middle of the court screaming obscenities, as loud as he could in his not-yet-a-man's voice. My initial reaction was irritation at his language, then puzzlement and curiosity. Why were these young boys out by themselves in a dark playground hours before school would start? I began to wonder what I could do. I wondered if I went down there and just stood or sat down in their midst, what would happen

Where did this boy's rage come from? What had his few years brought him, that all he could do was have a tantrum? Why had no one helped him to learn how to manage his frustration? And where were the adults in this early darkness?

I kept going, and it struck me that there's a parallel in the Church. We have quite a bit of experience dealing with people whose anger is out of control, for the church is one place that will receive you, usually, whatever emotional or spiritual state you're in. the rest

Comments at Stand Firm

Video of service

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home