Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Plan to tag new babies causes outcry

French company's scheme to identify all young children electronically is opposed as an invasion of privacy
Laure Belot
Guardian Weekly,
Tuesday 9 November 2010

A French company, Lyberta, has just dropped plans to fit children in several nurseries in Paris with electronic tags, after a newspaper revealed the scheme. Trade unions, councils and civil liberties groups were indignant at the invasion of privacy. But the response to the idea in online forums was much more divided: "I have been longing for this ever since my first child was born," a woman wrote. "My three-year-old daughter walked out of her infant school and the teachers found her in the next street … I would rather put a tag on my child than sign up for a kidnap warning scheme."  the rest image

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home