Saturday, August 06, 2011

Anglican Perspective: John Stott



John Stott – a personal appreciation by Michael Lawson, Chairman of the Church of England Evangelical Council
August 6th, 2011 

The funeral of the Rev Dr John Stott, CBE will be at All Soul's Langham Place on Monday August 8th at 12.15. Doors open at 1100. No tickets required.

From 1960, John Stott played a key role in founding and chairing the Church of England Evangelical Council. Even in those days he was a leading Evangelical, and had already made a most significant impact for the gospel in his central London ministry at All Souls Langham Place where he had been Rector since 1950, and before that curate since 1945. I am now quite recently privileged to inhabit that same seat as chairman at the CEEC that John once chaired, but our actual personal connection goes back to 1981 when I arrived at All Souls as a curate that Autumn.

I remember at the evening service that October the occasion of my first ever sermon at the church. I did my best, but unfortunately, the sermon was not especially good. Just before the service, and feeling very nervous, I was horrified to discover that the great John Stott, who I had been told would be abroad was actually present. There he was seated on the bench behind me as I meekly walked up to the famous All Souls pulpit ready to display my youthful homiletical inadequacies.  the rest

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home