Friday, August 19, 2011

‘Human One’ replaces ‘Son of man’ in new ecumenical Bible translation

File:Jesus-Christ-from-Hagia-Sophia.jpg
The "Human One"
August 18, 2011

Twelve Catholic biblical scholars have joined nearly 200 scholars from two dozen Protestant denominations in translating the newly published Common English Bible (CEB). “It's an honor and a pleasure to be associated with this good project,” said Father Daniel Harrington, SJ, professor at the Boston College School of Theology and Ministry.

The CEB eschews the word “man” in several passages: Christ is referred to as the “Human One” rather than the “Son of man” (Mt. 10:23), and “the human” replaces “the man” in Genesis 2 (“with the rib taken from the human, the Lord God fashioned a woman and brought her to the human being”). “Happy” replaces “blessed” in the Beatitudes. the rest image

(Reminds me of the time about 20 yrs. ago when I attended mass at a local Catholic church where they were in the middle of a big push for "inclusive" language.  The Gospel passage "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." became "I will make you fishers of homo sapiens."  I kid you not and I literally had to stop myself from laughing out loud at the absurdity of it. -PD)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home