Monday, April 06, 2015

Kenyans Agonize Over Student Massacre; The Dead End of Sexual Sin...more

Kenyans Agonize Over Student Massacre  ...Students at the Garissa University College said militants burst through the campus gates and began to indiscriminately shoot people, both Muslims and Christians. By nightfall, a least 147 students were dead along with the four assailants. More bodies were being recovered on Friday, said officials in Garissa and students who survived.

The massacre came despite the Kenyan government’s awarding of a private contract to install thousands of security-surveillance cameras around the country. But the project is incomplete. And aside from their installation, two senior Western diplomats said they believed Kenyan security forces don’t have the know-how or manpower to actually monitor and analyze the footage collected by those cameras...

The Dead End of Sexual Sin ...It was only after I met my risen Lord that I ever felt shame in my sin, with my sexual attractions, and with my sexual history.

Conversion brought with it a train wreck of contradictory feelings, ranging from liberty to shame. Conversion also left me confused. While it was clear that God forbade sex outside of biblical marriage, it was not clear to me what I should do with the complex matrix of desires and attractions, sensibilities and senses of self that churned within and still defined me.

What is the sin of sexual transgression? The sex? The identity? How deep was repentance to go?

Meeting John Owen

In these newfound struggles, a friend recommended that I read an old, seventeenth-century theologian named John Owen, in a trio of his books (now brought together under the title Overcoming Sin and Temptation).

At first, I was offended to realize that what I called “who I am,” John Owen called “indwelling sin.” But I hung in there with him. Owen taught me that sin in the life of a believer manifests itself in three ways: distortion by original sin, distraction of actual day-to-day sin, and discouragement by the daily residence of indwelling sin.

Eventually, the concept of indwelling sin provided a window to see how God intended to replace my shame with hope. Indeed, John Owen’s understanding of indwelling sin is the missing link in our current cultural confusion about what sexual sin is — and what to do about it... 
Overcoming Sin and Temptation pdf.

Who Will Stand?
The lynch mob came for the brilliant mild-mannered techie Brendan Eich.

The lynch mob came for the elderly florist Barronelle Stutzman.

The lynch mob came for Eastern Michigan University counseling student Julea Ward.

The lynch mob came for the African-American Fire Chief of once segregated Atlanta Kelvin Cochran.

The lynch mob came for the owners of a local pizza shop the O'Connor family.

The lynch mob is now giddy with success and drunk on the misery and pain of its victims. It is urged on by a compliant and even gleeful media...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home